Derek’s suggestion of putting a centre punch into the brass washer on the front brakes to earth in indicator sounded a bit drastic to me. Continue reading Build Session #25 Final Titivation
Hope you are well.
We got the engine in OK at the weekend, so here are the next batch of questions / clarifications.
We made good progress over the weekend with the front suspension and are planning to do the engine install this weekend.
In advance of that, a few further questions if you don’t mind. Continue reading Email #3
During the week a package arrived from Caterham containing screws for the heater, the missing clutch hose, grommets and a complete replacement wiring harness for the headlight which included the all important sidelight bulb holder. Frustratingly the grommets were exactly the same as the ones in the IVA pack, so we need not have stopped work on the headlights the previous day.
We stripped the masking off the engine bay first thing although the wax was still quite tacky. It was then a case of re-fitting the steering rack and suspension components. Derek had confirmed a couple of weeks ago that the correct washer layout for the front lower wishbone was 0-4-0 (see diagram). Continue reading Build Session #5 – Take 2…
We were planning to start forthcoming weekend with some rust protection and I decided it would be easier to remove the suspension parts and steering rack to get the best access to the troughs where the aluminium skin folds under the chassis tubes. We had not torqued the bolts up, so it didn’t take long. What was apparent is how much easier it is to damage the bodywork with the wishbones when you are on your own. Fortunately I didn’t…
Finally, 25 weeks and four days after first ordering the car we began the assembly.
Although we planned to do some corrosion protection at some point, we felt like we wanted to do something a bit more exciting as it was our first day, so we began unsurprisingly, with the steering rack and front suspension. Continue reading Build Session #1 – The Build Begins…