Preparation #5

Another weekend with only limited time for working on the garage. Saturday was a trip to Brands Hatch for the British GT qualifying plus a few other jobs to do on Sunday. I managed to reorganise the ladders and bikes on the wall, but decided to get some better quality hooks to replace the random rusty nails that many of them hang from. I also decided to fill all of the smaller cracks in the floor on this first painted half. I had originally only done the more sizeable ones, but was much more diligent on the second half, and it really paid dividends.

Preparation #4

I had a week off work last week and we got stuck into a series of jobs round the house. At one point we seemed to have every room with some job started it it, and by the Thursday we decided we had to concentrate on finishing what we’d started, rather than beginning yet more projects. By Sunday we had most things completed, so today was all about the garage. At least the floor had had a good seven days to harden completely.

I spent a fair while working out the best way to reconstruct the shelving. My plan was to try and accommodate all the previous garage contents into one half of the storage area, leaving the other half for the numerous boxes of parts which would arrive with the kit. After a good deal of reorganisation, plus some ruthless decisions to consign certain stuff to the tip, I managed to achieve my goal. The garage was really beginning to resemble what I had hoped for. The floor looked great and had elicited envious looks from certain of the neighbours.

 

Preparation #3

I collected a new tin of floor paint on Tuesday and managed to finish the final small area of the first coat. It made such a difference to be able to see the whole floor done. We were going away at the weekend, but not leaving until Saturday lunchtime, so there was time to put a second coat on before leaving. I thinned the paint by 10% with white spirit which took a long time get thoroughly mixed in. It didn’t help that every potential stirring implement I had was circular in section; square things stir much better apparently.

The new strip light tubes also arrived this week. I couldn’t get any more brightness (wattage) without changing the complete light unit, so decided to try new tubes as the existing ones had been in for over ten years. I ordered the new ones in “cool white” rather than the traditional, warmer shade. Once they had warmed up, or should that be cooled down? They were definitely brighter, especially with the freshly painted white ceiling.

Preparation 2

This week I involved moving all the stuff from the left hand side of the garage to the, now painted, right hand side.  The next task was to complete the ceiling painting, which was a new experience for me as I had never used a roller and an extension pole before.

Next was another session with the pressure washer and aqua vac, followed a couple of days later by more crack filling. Finally today I got round to painting the floor.

First coat. Until the paint ran out....
First coat. Until the paint ran out….

As I suspected though, there was not enough paint left to do the whole area. I knew I would need more for the second coat, but hoped I would have been able to eek out the first coat from the remains of the tin.

Second Stage Deposit

Got confirmation from Doug today that the Superlight suspension has been added to the order. He has also confirmed receipt of the next instalment of the payment.

The car is still scheduled for week 38 so hopefully should see it in early October…